Ultimate Reviews of Best Tankless Water Heater 2018
There is usually a high demand for hot water in the homes as well as offices. Finding the best tankless water heater will solve this problem and bring about so many other advantages. The traditional tank water heaters usually take up a whole lot of space and also use up a lot of energy. With an instant hot water heater, you will save up in energy costs as well as the space occupied.There are so many different models on the market and one may be confused by the best instantaneous water heater to install in their home. We have come up with this guide so as to make it easier for everyone to find a tankless water heater that serves their needs in the best way possible. We have tankless hot water heater reviews that will also serve as a guide and help you make an informed decision
In this Top 5 Best Tankless Water Heater Reviews guide we will cover:
Different Types of Water Heaters
When you get into any building, you will realize that there are so many different typed of water heaters. While you will find tons of top rated tankless water heaters, it is important to note that there are other types as well. In most cases, you will find the common ones are the water heaters with a storage tank and tankless water heaters which give hot water on demand.
Condensing Water Heater
This is one of the main types of water heaters and has an incredible capacity of over 55 gallons. With water heater uses gas as the fuel source and is so much similar to the storage water heater tank. However, there is a slight difference in that the condensing water heater will capture the gases that are being expelled out of the flue as the waste. These are the gases which will be used by the water heater to heat up the water, which is quite economical.
Tankless Water Heater
The tankless water heater is quite advanced and a good number of homeowners have a high preference for it. This is an instantaneous water heater that has the capacity to produce hot water on demand. These heaters are quite versatile and have many features. The main advantage is the fact they do not come with a storage tank and will only heat the water when it is needed. The tankless water heater prices vary depending on the specific model. You can choose to have electricity, propane or natural gas as the source of heating fuel.
Solar Water Heater
Here is another economical type of water heater. In order to use this type of water heater, you will need to have solar panels installed on the roof, which will conduct energy from the sun rays. The panel also has an anti-freeze fluid that is placed closed system and connects to the tank. During summer, you will not need to heat up the water with electricity or gas, as this will work perfectly.
Heat Pump Water Heater
If you are looking to save up to 60% of the energy that is used in heating up water, these are the water heaters to consider. These are hybrid water heaters which will capture heat from the air and use it to heat up the water. This will save you the cost of having to heat up water with gas or electricity. These may not work in areas where there are low temperatures as these water heaters fully rely on the heat from the air.
Storage Tank Water Heater
Most buildings are fitted with the tank water heaters, as they are the most common type. These water heaters have a huge storage tank, just as the name implies. When the unit is turned on, it will heat up water and store it in the tank and supply the entire house. The downside to these water heaters is the fact that they heat up water even when it is not needed and this can be quite costly.
Anytime you wish to buy a water heater, these are the most common types that you will come across. However, when weighing the pros and cons, the tankless water heaters are the most suitable. These heaters will only produce hot water on demand, thereby saving you huge energy costs.
Which is the Best Tankless Water Heater?
When you go out looking for an electric tankless hot water heater, you may end up being confused since each manufacturer claims to be the best. We have put together the top tankless water heater reviewsto help the process.
1: Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater
When you look at most of the electric tankless water heater reviews, you will realize that the ECO 18 is a consistent model. It comes with a self-modulating technology, which is a big bonus for those looking for a perfect instant hot water heater. It has the ability to serve two faucets simultaneously. In order to be able to make the most of this instantaneous water heater, you will need to be in areas with moderate temperatures.
The ECO 18 has a temperature range of 80°F to 140°F, which means that you can adjust it to your preference. There are 1° increments, which is quite convenient as you will be able to land on your desired temperature comfortably. You are assured of getting hot water continuously as this model has the capacity to deliver 2.5 GPM and 1.5 GPM, for the shower head and the sink faucet respectively. You can be sure that you will always have hot water on demand.
This is an electric tankless hot water heater and as such, it means that it uses electricity as fuel. There is a Smart Technology feature that is fitted on this model and as such, it will work effectively in areas where the climates are above 67°F. If you live in areas when the temperatures are below that, you may want to consider a different option. With this model, you will be able to save up to 60% of the energy used for heating up water
Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater Features
- The temperature range for this electric tankless hot water heater is 80°F to 140°F, which is quite convenient, especially for areas with warm temperatures.
- With Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater, you will be able to save up to 60% of the overall heating costs due to the self-modulating technology that has been incorporated in this tankless water heater.
- In order to adjust the temperature, you will use the digital temperature control and this will allow you to make adjustments on the temperature with increments of 1°F.
- When looking at the electric tankless water heater reviews, you will realize that this comes out among the most durable and easy to use tankless water heater units on the market.
- You will not need a storage tank and as such, this unit will take up very little space and can easily be mounted anywhere in your home.
2: Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater, Concentric/Twin Pipe Installation
The Rinnai tankless water heater price may appear to be higher than usual, but when you look at all the amazing features that it has, you will agree that this is worth it. The condensing technology is one of the most remarkable features that have been incorporated and this will enhance the efficiency of your water heater. This is considered to be among the best tankless water heater on the market due to the efficiency as an instant hot water heater.
The Rinnai RUC98iN has a temperature range of 98°F to 185°F for the commercial setting, while the residential temperature range is 98°F to 140°F. This makes this unit quite versatile as it can be used for both residential and commercial needs. It has a thermal efficiency of 95%, which means that you will end up saving up on the costs of energy used in a given month. This unit used propane as the source of fuel and can also run on natural gas.
There are several venting points on the Rinnai tankless water heater and this enhances the efficiency of the fuel as it heats up the heat exchanger. As far as mounting this unit goes, you will not need too much space, as it has a sleek design, which is compact. You can have it installed on any space that you desire as it will not take up too much space. Once you have it in place, then you can enjoy hot water on demand.
Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater Features
- The compact and sleek design of the Rinnai RUC98iN will save you a whole lot of space when you mount it. It will virtually fit in any space that you wish to install it.
- This model comes with an energy factor of 0.96, which means that you will save a whole lot on the energy that is used in heating up the water.
- As for the gas fumes that are emitted, this unit has concentric venting option, which allows it to contain the fumes, when the heat exchanger is being heated up.
- Due to its versatile nature, the models comes with temperature range settings for both commercial at 98°F to 185°F and residential at 98°F to 140°F.
- With the ultra-low NOx emissions being part of the amazing features of this particular model, the Rinnai tankless water heater price is affordable and you should have it in your home or commercial building.
3: Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 E Series 208/240 Volt 9000/12000 Watt Electric Tankless Water Heater
Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater is ranked among the top rated tankless water heater on the market. This is one of the brands that does not fail, as far as providing hot water on demand is concerned. With this particular unit, you stand to gain a whole lot of benefits and you can be sure that you will always have hot water at any point that you may need it. With an output of 12kW, you will end up saving up a whole lot on the amount of energy used in heating up your water.
Unlike the traditional water heaters, this the best electric tankless water heater in that you will be able to mount it in any space that it available. It does not come with a storage tank and as a result, you will not need too much space to install it. You will hot water at a rate of 1.5 GPM, which is quite adequate when you need to take a shower, wash dishes or do laundry. This is one of the tankless water heater models that are easy to use.
There is a temperature adjustment option, as the unit has a wide temperature range of 85°F to 125°F. The temperature adjustment knob is conveniently placed on the front cover and this makes it easier to adjust the temperature of the water to your preference. This is great option to consider if you are looking for an on demand electric water heater.
Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 E Series Electric Tankless Water Heater Features
- One of the things that make this the best tankless water heateris the compact design. As a result, you will not need to worry about the space to mount it, as it can fit anywhere.
- The Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater comes with a temperature range setting of 86° F to 125°F, which accommodates the preference of most home users.
- There is a temperature adjustment dial, which is placed on the front cover, giving you easy access and convenience.
- You will be able to get up to 1.5 gallons per minute, of hot water when you have this model in your home.
- The casing is quite attractive but is also quite sturdy and as such, you can even leave it uncovered and still realize that this is the best electric tankless water heater.
4: Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing High Efficiency Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater, 10-Gallon Per Minute
For those with a very high demand of hot water instantly, the Takagi T-H3 is the best option as it has the capacity to give you 10 gallons of hot water, per minute. This is what makes it rank as the best natural gas tankless water heater. When compared to other similar models, this is quite impressive and it means that you can have it service the entire house with hot water simultaneously. It is quite efficient and still does not use too much energy.
The ultra-low NOx condensing technology is one of the amazing features on this tankless water heater. This feature allows you to use the ordinary 3-inch PVC pipe venting seamlessly. The heat exchanger is made of commercial grade copper alloy, which enhances the efficiency of this unit, as it is an excellent conductor of heat. You will be glad to have this model in your home and based on the best gas tankless water heater reviews out there, you can bank on the high level of efficiency of this unit.
If you did not know, you can also use the Takagi water heater as a portable water heater. It is quite versatile and will work effectively with hydronic heating applications, recirculation systems, radiant floor systems and most of the systems that are in your home. Investing in this model would be ideal as it needs 199,000 BTUs to heat the water and this will save up on the amount of gas used in your home.
Takagi T-H3-DV-N Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater Features
- With a flow rate of 10 GPM and other amazing features, you will agree that this is the best natural gas tankless water heater and has so much to offer.
- It requires 199,000 BTUs to heat up the water and even better, it is ENERGY STAR qualified. This, therefore means that that will be able to conserve the energy as it also has an energy fact of 0.95.
- There is a power cord included in this model to give you more options and it has a number of integrated controls as well.
- The temperature range setting is from 35°F to 70°F. In order to get the maximum flow, it would have to be at the lowest temperature.
- As far as safety goes, the best gas tankless water heater reviews express satisfaction in the surge protection, freeze and overheat features.
5: Camplux 10L Outdoor 2.64GPM Digital Display Portable Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater and Shower
When shopping for a tankless water heater, do not only look at the tankless water heater prices, instead look at the unique features that they have. For instance the Camplux 10L is the best option when you need a portable water heater. Due to the fact that it is portable, this means that you can use it anywhere that you need to use it. It is quite effective and this what has made it garner so many positive propane tankless water heater reviews.
The flow rate of this model is 2.64 GPM, which is higher than what you would need to take an ordinary shower. It comes with a digital display panel and this will make it easier for you make adjustment and get the specific readings for the settings that are in use. You can make use of the wide range of temperature setting that is from 45° F to 114°F. All you will need it use the control buttons to adjust the temperature.
With this on demand hot water heater, you will get an output of 64,000 BTUs in an hour. This is made possible by the genius technology for combustion, which has been designed in such a manner that it can work with multiple protection system so as to keep you safe. With these amazing features in mind, you will appreciate why it is rated as the best propane tankless water heate
Camplux 10L Portable Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater Features
- There are 2 D batteries that power this portable water heater when you need to use it outdoor. The main function of the batteries is to ignite the generator to heat water.
- It has a compact design and is also very light, which makes it easy to carry around and as such, you will never run out of hot water. This is the best propane tankless water heater.
- In most of the propane tankless water heater reviews, most users are impressed with the digital display, which makes it easy to read the settings and make relevant adjustments.
- It comes with a temperature range setting of 45°F to 114° F, which is quite impressive and you can adjust to your preferred temperature.
- This tankless water heater unit has the capacity to give you up to 2.64 gallons of hot water, per minute, which is higher than the average shower.
What are the Key Considerations When Buying a Water Heater?
Everyone would want to have the best tankless water heater in their home. With so many models on the market, you may be confused and not really know which one to go for. While we have taken the time to review some of the top rated tankless water heaters, we have also come up with a number of factors that you should bear in mind when shopping for an instant water hot water heater.Here are some of the top considerations when looking for a tankless water heater:
- GPM – Gallons Per Minute
This is usually expressed as GPM and refers to the flow rate of the hot water. In short, this is the volume of hot water that you will get from the unit per minute. You should look at the GPM and the specific temperature that it operates in. This will determine the number of units you will need to mount in your home.
- Budget Range
It is advisable to have a budget in mind when you go out to shop for an instantaneous water heater. Look at the various tankless water heater prices so as to identify one that is within your range. When looking at the price, it is important to consider the features that you will be getting such that it will be worth the price.
- Energy Consumption
Water Heater Types
Energy Efficiency Rating
Conversational Gas Storage
Condensing Gas Storage
Conversational Elec Storage
Elec Heat Pump Storage
One of the things that excite home owners about the tankless water heaters is the fact that they are energy efficient. In this case, what you will be looking for is a model that is able to serve your household effectively, without increasing the energy costs. Buying the ENERGY STAR qualified units may be a good choice as this will save up on the energy costs to a great extent.
- Capacity and Size of Unit
Peak Demand Output Requirement
45 - 55 Gallons
55 - 65 Gallons
65 - 75 Gallons
75 - 85 Gallons
85 - 100 Gallons
100 or More Gallons
As far as the capacity is concerned, this will be influenced by the specific needs that you have. You will find a number of electric tankless hot water heater with varying capacities. You will want to go for one that is able to provide hot water on demand to your household, adequately.
- Heating Power
Different water heaters have different sources of power. You need to consider which ne will be ideal for your home. The most common ones are natural gas, electricity or propane. It is an essential consideration to bear in mind your source of power.
- Tankless or Storage Tank Water Heater
When buying a water heater, you will mainly have a choice between the tankless and the conventional tank water heaters. Tankless water heaters are known to produce hot water instantly, while the tank water heaters will heat water and store it up in the tank. There are times you will have to wait for the water to be heated up when you have a tank water heater.
- Size of the Tank
This is only applicable when you choose to buy the tank water heaters since the instant hot water heater does not need a tank. In this case, you will need to check the capacity of the storage tank so as to ensure that the hot water produced will be sufficient.
- Mounting Space
With the top rated tankless water heaters, you will not need to worry about the space available since they can be mounted anywhere. If you opt for the storage tank water heaters, you need to consider the space available in your home.
- Durability and Warranty Issues
Generally, the electric tankless hot water heater is known to be more durable than the traditional water heater. Nonetheless, it is imperative to find out what warranty you will get with your heater and how long it is valid. The electric tankless water heater reviews should be a good indicator on longevity of a specific model.
Check Here For In depth Information About “How to Choose the Best Tankless Water Heater?
Other Factor to Consider
Here are some additional factors that you should consider so as to get the right on demand electric water heater.
- Anti-scale devices will be able to prevent the buildup of minerals in your water heater. When looking for a water heater, get one with anti-scale devices and this will prolong the overall life span of the unit.
- The other thing that you will need to be keen on is the material used to make the valves. Most models will have either plastic or brass valves. If you are looking for a model that will serve you for a very long period of time, you should consider getting a water heater unit that has brass valves.
- Glass lined tanks are ideal as they will go a long way in reducing corrosion. When you buy a tank that is made of pure metal, there will be a very high possibility of corrosion when the water mixes with the metal.
- In order to make the most of your tankless water heater, consider a model that has a digital display panel. With such a model, you will be able to adjust the unit to your preference and also be able to read the current settings.
How to Take Care or Maintain Your Water Heater?
Even when you have the best tankless water heater, you need to take good care of it so as to enhance its durability. Generally, there will be mineral deposits that will start building up and the best way to tame such is through frequent cleaning and routine checks of your water heater unit.Each model has the recommended care and maintenance tips provided by the manufacturer, which you should consider following. In addition, we have come up with a number of tips that you can use for caring and maintaining your water heater. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1:Shut down the power and use a screwdriver to remove the cover of the instant hot water heater.
- Step 2:Ensure that water supply valve us closed such that no water is getting into the heater. You should remove the caps on the purge port, as this will release the pressure in the system.
- Step 3:Take the hosing lines, which are provided by the manufacturer and connect to the valves and then open the purge port.
- Step 4:Take 9.46 liters of undiluted vinegar and flush it in the unit so as to clean the heat exchanger. Once you put it, drain it and this should successfully flush the unit and clean all the minerals on the heat exchanger.
- Step 5:As soon as you drain the vinegar, close the purge port valves again, which is done by turning the T-shaped handles.
- Step 6: The next step would be removing the hosing lines that you had attached to the valves and then place the caps on the purge ports. Be sure to fit all the components in their place and tighten them in the right manner.
- Step 7:Once that is done, find the filter in the water heater so as to remove it. If you are not sure where the filter is, you should refer to the owners’ manual so as to be able to remove it. Clean the inner side and housing of the filter by running clean water on it and once you are done, return it to its place.
- Step 8:The final stage is to reconnect your water heater and restart it. However, you should exercise precaution when it comes to this as it could end damaging the whole unit, if it is not done correctly. It is highly advisable to follow the instructions that are provided by the manufacturer so as to ensure that you reconnect it as it ought to be.
If you follow the steps above properly, you should have the on demand electric water heater work for a very long time, without fail. Make it a habit to clean the unit once in a while and you will be happy with the efficiency.
Warning: It is worth noting that every model is unique and the steps above are a general guide. We highly recommend following the manufacturer’s manual to the latter, for purposes of maintenance and cleaning of the best tankless water heater.
If you are still using the old water heater that has a storage tank, you should consider switching to the instantaneous water heater. There are so many advantages that you will enjoy with the tankless water heaters. While we are aware that finding the best tankless water heater may be a challenge, we believe that this guide should be adequate to help you make an informed decision.
From the models we have reviewed above, we recommend the Takagi T-H3-DV-N Condensing High Efficiency Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater as it has the capacity to give you 10 gallons of hot water per minute. If you find this article useful, please feel free to share it with your friends and family.
- Ecosmart ECO 18
- Rinnai RUC98iN Ultra Series
- Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 E Series
- Takagi T-H3-DV-N
- Camplux 10L Outdoor